Monday, October 31, 2005

Apathy - plenty of it - in Malaysia

Just finished my tax law exam. Stuck in the lab, waiting for 'em to fix up the printer for the SINGLE piece of A4 award submission I need to print. Ahghh just one page! cmon!!

In my one and half years here, I haven't even stepped inside this particular building in uni. Small campus, everyone sez, but its my ideal. Facilities here're open for longer hours than Clayton's, surprisingly..

Anyways, to my real post topic. Been blogsurfing/newssurfing when I get bored of studying in the late hours. What I've been seeing is how increasingly racist Malaysia is. So many things happen which make me go "wah-liau another S T U P I D / waste-of-taxpayers-hard-earned-money issue". No being diplomatic with words. We'd worry about people being inefficient and all. Thats all right, they can work harder. But in not thinking things through before its done/said, thats irritating me. Seems as if so many people are still stuck in their own little world of ignorance.

If I don't like something, I'll voice out about it. If others experience the same thing as me, being typically apathetic "i-don't-want-to-get-into-any-trouble" or "i-don't-want-to-care" dear fellow Malaysians, probably 8 out of 10 will not raise the issue. Instead they'll mumble and grumble under their breath and say "if only i get the chance, then i'll blahblahblah". But by not voicing out, does that mean they don't feel aggrieved? No.

The problem is with apathy of course. Plus the total lack of being able to have any sort of meaningful discussions without accusations of "it's a sensitive issue" or "we have to respect -- by not bringing up this issues, else it'll cause unstability".

As a result, the current generation of Malaysians have been brought up to "see no evil, hear no evil" so they "say no evil". We can close our eyes, shut our ears. But the world still continues spinning, and other people move forward. In the meantime, we (Msia) grapple with our skills in English, our problems of identity (or lack thereof), race issues etc. The current generation care little about policy/thoughts of those in-charge. Thats because everyone's too worried about the bread and butter issues - jobs/economy/whether they can afford to go shopping mall during weekends/yearly holidays. Sometimes its not as if they don't care. Its because people feel powerless to change others. Most people say - why bother? Others (the increasing majority these days) say - migrate.

Sometimes I wonder why I bother too.

when I hear of "funny" things uttered/done now, I just go "dah biasa la" (its the norm).. so unfortunate.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dilip Mutum said...

It sad but its true. I guess we do what we can in our small ways.

1:15 am  
Blogger Miriguy said...

Hey, seems like you got an interesting blog here.
Anyway, life's like that in Malaysia.
Oh well.

12:34 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home