Friday, October 21, 2005

Going back soon.. work next year?

No blog posts yesterday in memory of the passing of Datin Paduka Seri Endon Mahmood, wife of the Prime Minister of Malaysia. My sincere condolences to PM Badawi and his family.

Reports of sombre weather in KL yesterday reflects the kind of weather we had in Melbourne. The forecast for the weekend all the way to Tuesday is "thunderstorms/showers". Not very conducive weather for studying/doing assignments. But I welcome the cooler temperatures, and realise I'll miss the cool weather when I'm back in sweltering KL.

Going back home for the hols in a few weeks time, if all goes to plan. And will be looking for a job for duration of the 3 month break. But before that, I need to "fix" my resume up. I've got a CV and resume already, but getting some professional assistance will be extra help. Still thinking whether to apply for internships or a full time temporary job..

Been thinking about working life after graduation next June, and talking about it with different people. Gita has just decided to transfer her degree to part-time study as she wants to return to full time work. Very interesting each week when we meet, as she shares with me some of her experiences in Slovakia, London, Europe and also here. We talk alot about culture, expectations of life and more. How nice it is to have sorted out what you really want, and to have the freedom and ability to "just do it". I have sorted out what I want, but with limited resources, sometimes its not possible to carry some things out.

The important question - to work in Australia, Malaysia or another country after graduation next year, is one of my main considerations. Different people have been encouraging me to stay and work. Not that I seriously lack confidence, but as international students, we are hampered by the way things work here.

Abit of explanation is useful in explaining my conundrum. Most Aussie firms hire graduates about a year before they graduate. Meaning career fairs and interviews are mostly in March-May each year, with positions filled for the following year. This way, alotof people would have secured their positions before they officially graduate. Being an international student, I'm not eligible to apply until I get my permanent residency. But I can't apply for PR till after graduation. Meaning most of the positions'd have been filled up by then. Hence the usually lengthy job search process I see some of my friends go through.

With regards to whether my personality is suited to the working environment here or in any other country? I reckon its not much of a worry for me. Before coming to Melb, I might not have known whether I can hold my own against other students (international and Australian). But especially after this year, I can confidently say - no problems.. My ego's not over-inflated la, but it is indeed nice to do well in certain things I care about, both academically and in other aspects.

Some healthy self-confidence never hurts!

And now, its back to my work.. exams begin next week, though my papers begin only on the 31st. Haven't been able to stick to my mantra of "play hard work hard" cos its been more work than play for Di...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

heya gurl! all the best for ur exams n all that k.. :)

i dunno if im in a good position to judge this, but i'm really beginning to think KL is not such a great place to return to for work anymore, at least not for me. The quality of life is better elsewhere for me, at least in Singapore it is. Don't know if it'll be the same for u in Australia, but with how KL stagnates in progress, i really doubt if life will be better there. heh, u could take this as a pessimist point of view. :p

12:16 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home