Friday, April 15, 2005

Wine in Ausralia / Angkor Wat?

The stash of "drinkables" in my cabinet - a merlot, Absolut Vodka (raspberry), white port wine, classic tawny port wine, plus a bottle of Chandon Brut. The unfortunate thing about having all these - most of my friends here don't drink.

Aihh.. they don't know what they're missing out on. Wine in Australia is increasingly cheap these 2 years due to a supply glut. Means that one can get decent award winning wines for less than 10 dollars! There's still a whole range of decent wines going for less than 20 dollars. So so so tempting, but I daren't buy any more..

Talking about drinking, Australia's changing from a beer-guzzling nation to a wine-appreciating nation. Just about everywhere you'd see patrons enjoying their glass, from a typical Italian restaurant, to the chinese shops in Chinatown.

Last Sunday, during dinner at Supper Inn (Chinatown), we were noting how the restaurant really reminds us of a typical "chinese" restaurant back home, from the whole decor, to the smell of fried peanuts, even the stairs leading to the restaurant. The only missing thing was a red-coloured tablecloth complete with a few holes. But one obvious sign that we were in Melbourne was the sight of wine bottles on many of the tables there. Something not so common back home in KL..

My mind's wandering all over the place now, hence this blogging in the middle of the night (its 2.40am now in Melb). Weather's changed, temperatures have gone into the mid 10s. With it, the clear blueee skies are no more. Looks like the sun has gone into hiding for the autumn. Such a marked change in dress as well. Just 2 days ago people were wearing strappy heels and shorts out, yesterday most were well-wrapped up, complete with scarf and beanie..

I'm basically just rambling on now.. have a test next week, which I'm supposed to be studying for (note the "supposed"). Getting distracted by a few thoughts, some feelings of "bengang-ness" to be dissipated (caused by a certain someone) and still thinking of a new phone (?? should i just leave it as it is??).......................

On something else, my parents sortof just told me they're going off to Vietnam and Cambodia for hols sometime this week. I went "omg OMG OMG OMG you guys are going to Angkor Wat?!?!" My mother had a casual "yeah". They have NO IDEA, ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA that I wanna go!!!

My number one ideal destination is not Paris Milan or Tokyo. Quirky me decided a few years ago - ANGKOR WAT is the place to go. And they're going. They're doing the usual tourist thing. I called home today, wanted to ask my ma to take more pictures of the amazing structures. No one answered so I think they're already off. I am quite sure they'll be taking some "touristy" shots (not much love of photography in their blood hehe).

Why I wanted the pictures of structures / buildings? It reminded me of their trip years ago to Egypt / Israel / Jordan etc. I saw one picture from the lot and I went - "pls don't tell me you only took one shot of that?!?" No it wasn't the pyramids. Plenty of that.

It was from their visit to Petra. (Its also a prime location for Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, remember the temple??) They went to the "Kazneh" (a carved tomb), more famous for its role in the Indiana Jones movie and took relatively few pictures. I had a field day taking in the glorious sites if I were there..Cos now its no longer so easy to travel in and around the middle east..

oh darn, 3am. Supposed to get at least a teeny bit of work done before dawn.


1 Comments:

Blogger xaverri said...

Thanks for dropping by!

Yupp I'm quite interested in those structures, possibly need at least a week to explore half of what I wanna see =)

4:10 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home