Thursday, April 14, 2005

New mobile phone.

No, I don't have a new phone. I need one.

I try not to use the term "need" these days because, we (being the icky materialistic generation we are nowadays) tend to confuse "wants" and "needs".

When you talk about technology with me, I have this opinion. It is certainly useful, beneficial to mankind bla bla bla. But too much of it isn't agreeable with me. I agree when my father mentioned that with the advent of technology, everything semakin canggih etc, why is it that we seem to be busier than before??

Lets not get so distracted. About my phone. When I came to Melbourne, I got a very simple phone, an LG model (forgot what model number). Most people would be startled at how little functions it has - basically its an entry level phone. No colour screen. No mp3 player. No bluetooth. And certainly no fancy camera. They ask me, why not get a phone from 3 network? Prob is, I'm here for less than 24 months (the usual length of contract). Plus nowadays there's so much small print to go through if I sign up for one of their plans / caps. Anyways I settled for that small light phone. Till this week that is.

The phone's been acting up. Argh the frustration, especially when I was waiting for a specific call yesterday. Suddenly there're irritating buzzing noises when I'm in the midst of a conversation. Sms-ing becomes a chore. The "0" key refuses to obey me.

So a new phone suddenly jumps the queue to be right at the TOP of my current wishlist. But a wish it shall remain. I had a niggly desire when I saw this.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Samsung D500. For its specs, click here.

A little bit of history bout me and phones.

When I got out of high school, I was about the only person I knew without a phone. Why? Cos my parents don't think its necessary. If I wanted one, it'd have to come from my own pocket. Prob is, all the money from my jobs went to road trips. It was road trips or mobile. Obvious choice - trips (another story).. Then I got my sis's old albeit reliable phone. That was till last year.

So now I feel like getting a mobile (which of course will not be the Samsung D500). But, there's always a but, I've never actually used my parents money for some expenditure like this. Even when I got my camera, it was through 2 months work (but it felt realllly good self-financing it). So it feels a little awkward if I were to just buy it outright. Prob now, I've got a tough sem and can't afford to work. After all although the hourly rate is good, I'm here to study and try not to fail anything. But without working, where's the $$$ coming from??

Have to think think think..

Although I need a mobile, sometimes I do wonder at the pros and cons of being so accessible to any nut who can call you 24 hours a day.

Imagine..
  • You're out for the weekend. Suddenly the boss calls. He wants you back in the office for some "catching-up" of work. What can you say - "yes boss". Previously, if you were out, you were out. If the boss had your house number, he could call till his line putus, but he wouldn't be able to contact you.
  • When was the last time you had a proper conversation with your mates/friends/colleagues which was not interrupted by someone making or sending calls / sms-es / playing with their phone settings / ringtones / contact list / whatnot? It is rather unsettling to be with people who are seated right next to you, but their minds are too engrossed with something else, namely that little piece of technology (phone la).

I'm as guilty as any of you of that - which is something I'm now determined to change. Its not so nice to be with someone who's talking on the phone half the time. I was once out with a friend who ended up chatting merrily over the phone for a good 15 minutes or more. I could only pretend to be interested in the contents of my drink, and marvel at the construction of my drinking straw.

Unpleasant experience, definitely. I felt like saying "wey you're here to talk to me or not? want to talk then go back n talk, or better still, I should just leave". Which I left unsaid.

Some people can't live without their mobile phones. I'm not one of them, fortunately. Worse case scenario - I'll be uncontactable in Australia hehhe.. might not be such a bad idea after all..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home