Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Passport to enter Sarawak / Sabah

**EDIT Jan21 2006** Malaysians from the Peninsula DO NOT need passports to enter Sarawak/Sabah anymore. They'll give you an immigration entry slip when you enter the state(s). Keep it with you at all times (if you accidentally discard it, you'll have to make a police report-serious!). They'll check it again when you return to Peninsula Msia.
above edit's for all you folks googling this question =)

I bet alot of Malaysians didn't know they needed a passport to enter Sarawak and Sabah. Duration of their visit should also not exceed 3 months.

For context, read "Trial period for MyKad entry into Sarawak" and "Doing away with restricted travel in Malaysia" (a blogger's opinion).

Most people from the Peninsula have never been to these 2 states, nor do they find reasons for doing so. imo they're missing out on what the rest of Malaysia looks like. Most from the cities think that life revolves round their lives in the cities, and conveniently choose to ignore that there's still some millions of citizens living different lives in the rest of the country.

Sarawak and Sabah is very different from the Peninsula. Different in what sense? umm I can't very well point out, but the whole environment, from the towns to their way of life - definitely unlike that of KL. Plus there's clean air (compared to smoggy KL/PJ air), good food, low living costs and Bario rice!

I don't know enough about the travel restrictions to explain to my friends. But all of them say one thing - "Why need a passport for interstate travel?" When I'm back for a visit, I happily breeze through customs. Am out in a jiffy while the rest of the passengers are stuck in a queue, having to show their passports. =) Why? Because although I'm a PJ-ian, its my hometown. There's an initial on my IC which allows entry without having to show passport. Don't know about my new MyKad though..

It used to be sooo expensive to travel to Sarawak. When I returned a few years ago (before the AirAsia years), it cost RM 800 plus for a return ticket KL to Miri (not hometown). I always joked with my mother - "Ma, pay another RM300 and we'd be going off to Hong Kong 4D/3N Cathay Pacific, including flight, accomodation and city tour!" But now, with AirAsia, its much cheaper to travel. Haven't tried any of their flights before though..

3 Comments:

Blogger Kervin said...

Hi see that you've visited my site and posted a link to my post :D Well agreed there's a lot of differences between Peninsular and the Bornean states, nature here is among the best anywhere, cheap living well dunno about that prices here are inflated compared to back home as the shipping costs increases merchandize prices and Bario rice hehe that's a treat ;D Love Sabah so maybe with the new ruling we'll see more people from Peninsular enjoying the sights and atmosphere here, also because Airasia makes it only RM99 (cheapest) to about an affordable RM180 one way trip here.

7:32 pm  
Blogger xaverri said...

Kervin: yupp some things are more expensive, but generally larger expenditures such as rental/road tax are lower in these 2 states. Still possible to get a bowl of noodles for less than RM2, which's impossible in KL/PJ. Hopefully I'll be making a trip back to S'wak n Sabah early next year!

halian: thanks for the info!

3:41 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi i am a malaysian passport holder, who is currently planning to make a trip to Sarawak. I have the following problems though:

1. if we dont have to show a passport, do we need to show our IC at all when arriving?

2. i am at the moment abroad, and i dont have the IC with me. I plan to arrive at KLIA and straight away board the next flight to Sarawak. my passport would be valid for only 5 months afterwards. will this pose a problem? is there any restriction at where the validity of my passport is concern?

thanks all.

2:44 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home