Monday, April 11, 2005

About keeping in touch.

I did something last week. I left a message for Tse Wei on her blog, and she replied! Her blogpost on "Keeping in Touch" got me thinking too. Tse Wei's my primary school mate, and its really been years and years since we've kept in touch. Coincidentally, a few days ago, I received a mail from my inbox, this time from MingSean, another old primary school mate.

We (from primary school) keep in touch mainly via a Yahoo group, with occasional mails and updates. Its 10 years since we graduated. Got me wondering, 20 years on, would we still be keeping in touch?

My father made a trip back to his hometown last year, for his own high school mates reunion meet. Its their 30th (THIRTIETH!!) year reunion. Amazingly most of them made it back, including their teachers. In Sarawak, alot of their teachers came from overseas back then. And many of the former teachers took the opportunity to return for the reunion and visit Malaysia. I could only go "wow..thats awesome.."

After graduating from high school a coupla years ago, there isn't a formal network or alumni association enabling us to meet up / keep in touch. The only "meet-ups" I have, are the yamcha sessions with my own circle of friends. Considering the fact that in my year we had 13 (?) classes of approximately 45 students each, my so-called meet ups are really insignificant.

Even now, news from friends are few and far in between. Everyone's getting on with their lives, citing "busy with work, busy with studies, busy with life as a whole". Is it really true that "the older you get, the smaller your circle of true friends"?

I wonder if one day, they will wake up and realise that they've been too busy living out their lives, and have simply let go of alotof friendships over the years. With irregular communication, you start knowing less and less of another person's life (eg friend). Without realising it, distance has set in (the distance meant here doesn't necessarily equate geographical distance) and then, there's no turning back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home