Sunday, April 10, 2005

Being happy

I've been in such a good mood of late that I suddenly felt its weirdness. Had a short conversation with a friend back in Malaysia just now, and she agreed with me, that 2 years ago, things were indeed alot different.

Really, one's mentality is so fundamentally important to one's sense of being. Not sure if I'm making any sense to you here, but a simple, but radical change or a firm decision made, certainly impacts tremendously on how I view everything around me. My outlook on life, what I decide to do with my time, how I view relationships, how I look at the people around me, how I handle stress etc..

I was indeed used to being a person with a negative outlook. When K.L. (a friend) remarked the other day - "you're one of the most positive person I know", my first reaction - laugh hilariously. Found it amusing, certainly.

Its because I'm always telling K.L. to enjoy life here in Melbourne. Work of course has to be done, but why not enjoy your time here? My logic of "go out, get some clear crisp air, let the wind blow in your face, look at the bluee sky, go home. Result'll be - more semangat to do work la!" isn't agreed on by many. But this's much better for me, than to enclose myself in a room with just my work to keep me company. I definitely concentrate better after going out, than spending 8 hours gazing blankly at the same 5 pages..

Assignments are tough, of course. Schedules are hectic. But hey, that's a 3rd year's uni life. If it were all so straightforward and simple, degrees would be falling from the sky like raindrops.

Calmness, people always say that about me. My point is - why panic? Panic, and you are even more unlikely to complete your work on time. I do tremendously last minute work, which is slightly hazardous. Though, this sem I've pledged to be more consistent. My calmness and clarity of mind isn't inborn. It has been cultivated. Anyone who went through my experience in the past would have this mentality..

What I shared with a friend just now.. when you look to man (as in other people around you eg family / friends etc) to encourage or support you all the time, you are bound to be disappointed. Humans are imperfect beings, we all have weaknesses. Most Asians are not adept at voicing their care or concerns verbally (at least most that I know of). Friends may care, but they may not tell you, assuming that you can "feel" or "sense" it. Thats not sufficient for me. Hence the dejectedness. I've simply realized that to depend on man is foolishness. And thats where a higher being comes into play..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home