Tuesday, April 12, 2005

What've I been doing? / architecture in LimKokWing

Lately, I've been stuck in my room, forced to face a thick stack of books n my comp, with the only respite coming from coffee refills. Yes its assignment peak period again. The busiest weeks of a uni student's life, within the space of a month plus (in my case), there're lots of assignments and mid sem tests to prepare for. A friend refers to this as a time of "war". But of course, in my "happy" mood lately, it doesn't look so bad.

Of course by now, my "hyper-ness" level has plunged. I read somewhere - humans use less than 5% of their brain's capacity. Right now, my full 5% is centred on deadlines, not much space/energy to think about other things..

I'm a rather boring person. Growing up with lots of freedom basically meant I had no reason to do any "wild" things (see - reverse psychology works - restrict / control your child, guarantee they rebel). End result - decisions are thought-out and rational. Given freedom to choose what I want to do (within financial constraints of course) and where etc. How I ended up taking accounting? Answer - my choice.

If they could've afforded it, I'd have taken Architecture as my first choice. Actually it was my sole choice. I did enough in my pre-u to get into Arch. in Melbourne Uni but of course had to consider the more important criteria in choosing a course for future study - COST. People never realise that the course costs HEAPS of money, and Malaysia is probably one of the worst countries when it comes to providing arch. education.

Don't tell me to take architecture at LimKokWingInstitute Of Technology (now known amusingly as a University College), cos I've tried that place, and it'll take a month's worth of blogposts to fill you in about how terrible their so-called education was. It was utterly a waste of my dad's hard-earned money. Would've been more fulfilling actually throwing the money spent into the Klang river. Fortunately I was not there for long. More unfortunate was - I felt I didn't learn the basics well enough to justify continuing then. What I learnt - how to go without sleep for prolonged periods of time (thats what all architecture students learn in their first year).

Never-seen-before attitudes from the teaching staff include - lecturers who aren't committed to their teaching, always busy scampering off to yamcha at the corner coffeeshop, too busy talking on their fancy phones, turning up late for classes cos they say students come late, hence their coming in even later. Contradicting opinions between teaching staff (eg this tutor says the other tutor's drafting method is wrong and vice versa, so who is actually correct??), lecturer saying "no need to buy books since you all going to fail anyway" when we asked for suggestions (due to the simple fact that we simply have NO textbooks). Unbelievable? Its all true. You'd better believe it.

LimKokWing offered Curtin's syllabus for architecture, with all local "lecturers". And I seriously believe Curtin University should look into how they're conducting the entire degree in LimKokWing. Maybe I'm unfortunate in my year to have teaching staff like that, seniors seemed to have better lecturers. But there's no disputing their (my year's teaching staff) level of commitment to their profession - disappointingly low.

I'd cordially invite anyone who wants a more lengthy opinion on my experience there to email me. Seriously, when I was there, I had expectations of what tertiary education should be like, and was tremendously disappointed. Monash Uni (where I'm studying now), when compared to LimKokWing, is like HEAVEN. At least, the lecturers show up on time. =)

Why suddenly think of architecture again? Some of my friends know I still like it tremendously. Actually its more than "like". Much more than that. Others may not know or have not discovered what their passion is, or where their future path lies. Me - there's only one dream. It has been 2 years since I let go of it. Thought of it as being "IMPOSSIBLE". Suddenly yesterday, before sleeping, a thought occurred in my mind. It went - "WHY NOT? WHY IS IT IMPOSSIBLE??" I have plenty of excuses to tell myself why its impossible, from problems with costs of uni, to duration (length of arch education at least 6 years) etc.

Throwing all rationality out of the window - WHY NOT? as long as I believe?
I'm already in my 3rd and final year of my degree. After graduation, who knows??

We'll see.. and in the meantime for me, its back to page 1073 of Deegan's fine book on Advanced Financial Accounting Theory and Practice.. more coffee beckons.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home