Wednesday, March 02, 2005

First week back

Nothing special bout my first week. Quite comfy in my own room, so it actually kinda feels as if I'm returning home (literally true, as it IS my 2nd home away from KL)..

As for the mail I mentioned in my last post, everything's resolved, and quickly it was too. The mails n response from MAS can be seen at Screenshots where Jeff kindly published last week.

Melbourne seems much more alive in summer than other times of the year. Its taken me sometime to start catching up with all thats going on these few weeks. First things first - uni. Actually its most important =P I'm in Melbourne to STUDY STUDY STUDY STUDY STUDY. I dare say this semester is going to be much tougher than the next one, with all the units I'm taking.. Had my first auditing lecture today and all I have to say bout that session is - Its no fun.

Besides studying, of course when one is abroad, there are many other things to be involved in. Here, uni life doesn't just equal the Malaysian mentality (exam based academic life) . On campus today (and till end of the week) they've got O-week going on, where all the tents are set up on the (smallish hehhe) lawn and all the clubs/societies hold their recruitment drives. Free food&drinks&music&blazing sun = carnival atmosphere. But I suppose the heat was enough to make anyone (only the Asians that is) wilt even under the shade. FYI the Aussies love their sun. Most Asians go "aiyoh..can melt already..." while the Aussies enjoy basking at the lawn / any available patch of green. Today, as the notoriously fickle Melbourne weather showed, temperatures hit a high of 35. THIRTY FIVE! just a few days ago it was a mere 15 (or around there) . Thank goodness today's the last day it's gonna be warm. We Melburnians live by the weather forecast..

Signed up for a few clubs, but unfortunately the Monash Caulfield Photography Club did not set up a booth this week. I wonder whether Samuel forgot bout it (?)..Paid my dues as a Msian dutifully by joining the Msian Student Association (or is it society?) for a year. Although they didn't hold any activities last year (disappointingly as I told the rep at the booth) I still support le, being Msian. The rep says this year there'll be more activities, as last year they had some "problems". Hope they've sorted it all out. Msian contingent at Caulfield is sizable I would say, but not many choose to join.. Throughout the years, I've comed to notice that in societies/clubs, many who hold posts do it for the status (though not all're like that). Msia is a wonderful place, simple to promote as we have much in common with others in the region (language, food etc). Starting with tourism would be a great idea cos I've realised that many students (Asians/Aussies/etc) travel round the region during the summer break..oh well just an idea..relishing the memories of my lil' road trips over the years. Realised that I prob wouldn't go round the peninsula again since everyone's so busy these days..

Oops got distracted rambling on bout the weather instead..Anyways, today I dropped by the Ticketek counter in uni. Ticketek's something like Msia's Axcess where one can purchase tickets for a large variety of shows ranging from musicals/theatre/football/rugby/concerts etc. What I actually had my eye on was the Cirque de Soleil. They're starting a season in Melbourne, till May 1st. Alas, the days I was eyeing are pretty full. Tickets don't come cheap but I really want to catch their latest show - Quidam (pronounced key-dam). It cheapest to go on weekday afternoons, but even most of that's sold out. What the lady at the counter advised was to wait for their extended shows, and come on the morning the tickets are released. Aigh this is not good. Cos its unconfirmed whether the season'll be extended further..

Grand Prix weekend 4th-6th Mar: Its this week, at the Albert Park circuit. I haven't decided whether to go anot. Ticket (cheapest) one costs $60 for raceday. Siew Weng did mention bout the view (not as good as Sepang). With the exchange rate soSOSOSO high, I think I'll skip this le..

Next weekend 11th-14th Mar Moomba weekend (clickable link) yoo-hooo! I'm looking forward to the FireShow on Saturday. Most definitely will be going then, as this year its their 50th Anniversary so it should be something special. FireShow's on Saturday night, plus prob going to see the parade. Its all FREE. Have to check the dates though. Hope to practise some photography and hopefully there'll be at least a coupla decent shots..

Following weekend 18th-20th Mar Festival Victoria. An event at the Telstra Dome where Franklin Graham (son of evangelist Dr Billy Graham) will be speaker. Quote from the festival's website "Music, testimonies and the Gospel message delivered by Franklin Graham...Featuring these artists and many more: Nicole C Mullen, Darlene Zschech, The Katinas, Roma Waterman, Dennis Agajanian, Tommy Coombes Band, Marina Prior and Guryel Ali." Schedule of events can be found on the site..

Also on the 20th Sunday - Melb Dragon Boat festival! wahsay..I just saw this too..

Melburnians are very proud of their "most livable city" tag. All year round there's something going on - arts/culture/exhibitions/sports etc..Many events are free, and they always want the participation of the local communities. If things like exhibitions cost money, they tend to be pretty affordable (i mean if you earn AUD la). Something like "keeping it within the reach of the masses" I suppose. We could learn from them in Msia. Alot of places aren't easily accessible these days.

Turning to something interesting I noticed during my break back home. I wonder at times, when they (the authorities) were thinking of "integrating" the public transportation system, did they really plan thoroughly? Some things are obviously a little..how shall I describe..odd(?)

An example: KL Sentral as a transportation hub in the city. The idea's fine with me. What I think is odd is the positioning of KL Monorail opposite KL Sentral. Maybe the people who designed it wasn't aware that if you really want to have a hub, first you have to connect the different modes of transportation properly. As in CONNECT. Commuters now have to cross a busy road to get across to KL Sentral after they get down at the Monorail stop. Walking and all that is fine with me, no complaints.

But what they conveniently forgot was to build some shade overhead. Blazing hot sun during the day - fine. No complaints too. Problem is when it rains. And when it rains in KL, it absolutely POURS. Tell me, is there any way to dash across the road without getting wet?? It has happened to me a few times and what happens is, I end up huddling by the road side with other suffering rakyat.. going "aihh.." We can see Sentral, but can't get across without an umbrella. Wish for once that the planners/builders of the system actually go through the whole process of travelling through the entire system (personally experience it la) when it rains..actually i think its kinda obvious la, but can't understand why they still don't wanna build some shelter overhead. Compared to the cost of building the system, I'm sure it costs only a fraction..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home