Monday, December 20, 2004

The value of friendship.

Friendship - in my opinion:.

can't be measured by the value of gifts
nor anything quantifiable in monetary terms.

Why the sudden thoughts on this? I just received a few cards through snail mail recently. Not many people actually take the effort to do that these days. The cards (or rather the simple greetings contained in it) bring much pleasure to an otherwise monotonous weekend. The cards may not cost much, but it is the "heart @ cor" inherent in it that is truly valued.

I should be brushing up on my mandarin, my couz has managed to convey regards in an eloquent way (IMO). My imitation of the proper style in conveying greetings. wah-say..

"就此让雯我向大家祝贺,请大家笑纳 - 五福临门, 恭喜发财!"

On other things..I find myself easily contented nowadays (at least easier than before). Surprisingly, after a brief sojourn away from KL, I've gotten more patient. Most times now, esp on the road, I wonder why people in PJ/KL seem to be in such an immediate rush to get to their destination. In their haste, they turn into icky monsters on the road. Off it they revert into friendly (?) Malaysians. Typical Jekyll and Hyde.. or maybe its just the laidback nature of the Aussies influencing me.

Was out with MinHui a coupla days ago, and we were talking about getting stuff we wanted. Topic shifted instantly to how the current generation deals with "wants" and not "needs". We have sufficient for all we need. And now we content ourselves with our selfish desires. The same rings true for me in some aspects, as the truth indeed is, I don't need that digicam, but I just want it. I suppose thats something to ponder about.

Reading the Star in the festive season has highlighted the fact that many people out there are still struggling to fulfill their basic needs. Today, an orphanage (i think, or a shelter) listed what they needed as - a soccer ball. Others needed rice cookers, beds, groceries, books, washing machines, television sets. All the things we take for granted. Although I don't believe in highlighting the unfortunates' needs only during the festive season (they need stuff all year round ey!), it is a good time to reflect on our priorities. In one of the articles, it was mentioned that the amount spent feasting / partying / gift-shopping through the few occasions can be better spent, which I fully concur with. There was another grandmother having problems paying her rent as she had to raise her grandchild alone. And the rent amount each month? A mere RM80. That amount seems pretty trivial compared to our spending ways. Some months ago, I read in the papers, a socialite in KL was showing off her latest home accessory - a chandelier worth RM500, 000. So ironic innit? That some people would rather spend 500k on their whims and fancies..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home