Saturday, December 18, 2004

Break - A long (too long) one.

Haven't decided what to do with the rest of my break back home. Unlike other souls out there, I've no plans to go travelling in the nether regions of the world, or have a fortunate someone to sponsor my traipsing around in Europe.

Hence, I'm faced with a dilemma of having time, almost too much of it. Time to do anything I want (within cash limits of course) but without much thought of how I want to spend it. Going out everyday isn't my idea of fun. Endless sessions of yamcha isn't my idea of how my hols should be either. If I don't find something to do, it'll be another case of my mental capacities slowing down and melting away in the KL heat..

Comparing Melbourne and PJ. There are both pros and cons about both places. For some people, the grass is always greener on the other side. But for me, both locations have their inherent "specialness".

Melbourne:
  • 1st thing one notices - the air. Fresh, clean, nice-to-breath air. Unless you stay by the highway like I do, else the air quality's much better in Melb.
  • The food. They have good food, mostly chinese food. Dimsum at Shark Fin's, Rock Kung at Glen Wav, Box Hill's Jade, Springvale's viet food..i'm sure there's plenty more I've yet to discover.
  • Less worries 'bout crime on the street. Although there're PLENTY of drunks (on the trains esp)
  • A very accessible Royal Botanic Gardens (located at the edge of the CBD) Its a convenient place to just lounge on the lawn, plus they've a nice tea room!
  • The galleries, esp the NGV, for bringing in lovely exhibitions ie Impressionists and Munch.
  • The weather - not as humid as KL, though the incessant raining during the spring months were a slight bother. Psst sounds so droll comparing weather innit? shows me beginning to get bored..

PJ:

  • Mamaks! Actually I mean more than mamaks. Includes all the hawker food available across the country, where one dines "al-fresco" albeit its by the road side. Unhygienic as it may look, but who cares?
  • Increasing crime rate plus badddd drivers. I really do think the drivers here are getting increasingly bully-ish on the roads, and really, some seem to descend into madness once they get into the driving seat. This week when I was at BU (fortunately wasn't me driving), when we were waiting for parking, a 30plus year old malay man in a flashy BMW actually wound down his window and began to shout at us cos space was sparse and he didn't have the patience to let the other driver make a reverse turn out. I've personally never encountered a human so rude. And to think he drives a BMW, which makes a mockery of him as a person, for him to be rich in material possessions but so poor in spirit. PJ drivers now seem much worse than Penang ones..
  • Humid rainy weather. Can't imagine going to the parks on a hot afternoon here. Prob would get heatstroke

will continue someday..gtg now.


1 Comments:

Blogger Hau Wei said...

Yes...that is true, it does seem that PJ drivers are much worse than Penang drivers now. Amazing swap of traits...

11:55 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home