Wednesday, November 03, 2004

The things I hear in the middle of the night.

At c. 4.35am on 988FM (Malaysian chinese radio station), there's this conversation:

Girl : I have a problem. 我失恋了 (meaning "I'm heartbroken").
DJ (female) : What happened?
Girl : He told me I'm ugly and he wants to break up.
DJ (sympathetically) : When did that happen?
Girl : The break-up? A few months ago..when we met for the first time..
DJ : Erm how did you all break up when you just met?
Girl : Actually we've been together for half a year.
DJ : How's you know each other then?
Girl : He called my handphone randomly and we started chatting. 本来是玩玩下,后来真的日久生情 (meaning *at first play-play, then really liked him)
DJ : Did you all meet up during that half year?
Girl : No, only through the phone..
DJ : ...pause.................how old are you now?
Girl : I'm 22 this year
DJ (fairly straightforward) : I must assume you're not very mature in terms of relationships? I thought you were in your teens.
Girl (slightly sheepish) : err..
DJ : You're still abit 天真 (naive)
Girl : But I'm so sad le, still crying over it.
DJ : Strictly speaking, this does not even constitute a real relationship. I think you've been watching too many dramas le. How long's it been since the *break-up*?
Girl : Its been a few months..
DJ (Slightly lost for words) : Do you know nowadays there are many cases of girls getting duped? Although I'm not saying the guy is out to dupe you..bla bla bla about the dangers of meeting strangers.. be careful next time
Girl : I know, thank you..
DJ (by now very bemused at the gullibility of 22 year old girls) : Ok, the next song is......


OMG I was laughing out loud when I heard this while studying for my law exam in a few hours time. Simply had to blog about this ahhhhahhhha the things ppl say to DJs in the middle of the night.

I always like to have music on when I'm up studying, wth chinese radio my fave companion (yupp I'm very *easternised*). At night, they have nice DJs (usually) who hold decent conversations with their listeners (norm) BUT occasionally you get all sorts of people ranting about all sorts of problems. There was this lady who spent more than 20 minutes on air crying about her probs (hubby left her, severely ill children, paranoid neighbours etc) - serious. I left the radio on then as backgrd noise.. I think when they recruit DJs, they need to add an extra requirement - backgrd in counselling essential.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home