Friday, October 08, 2004

In the middle of the night..

I start thinking.
Blogs are so self-centred. After all, most blogs begin life as an outlet of expression. Aka online journals, some people describe their daily going-ons in meticulous detail. Others express what they cannot voice out. Many more simply die a slow death from neglect and become abandoned and wrinkly (thats just me being dramatic with use of words le). A minority have become favourites with faithful followers, such as Screenshots (nuff said bout the recent controversy). But being online has its benefits. Readers are free to make choices as to what they want to view.

A simple look at PetalingStreet (composite of Msian blogs) will show any stranger that Malaysians are generally very serious about food. VERY indeed. Esp Msians overseas seem to be always craving for roti canai (plus about another 100 types of other roti!) and nasi lemak etc etc etc. So far in Melb I have thus resisted roti (there's one place at Swanston St just for your info) and really, I supposed Melburnians are considered fortunate since Msian food is readily available. I've actually tasted laksa (tastes fine, meaning fairly authentic) at Victoria Mkt, of all places..

There is the realization these days that my life here is what I make of it. There's a lot of joy to be found simply by "rayau-rayau" the streets of Melbourne. I'm so used to the freedom of having a car, but now am forced to rely on public transport to get around. The routes are convenient, but rather its the timing/ the people I meet on public transports which I dislike. In a short 3 months plus, I've encountered drunk people at all hours of the day, an "almost-fight" on a tram and other assorted abusive people (but not towards me luckily).

Last weekend, when I was about to return from the city, passed by Starbucks on Swanston (in front of Westin). There was a band getting ready to play just at the little space infront. So ended up we stayed for a short while and got to experience some good music. They started off with a jazz piece and moved on to some old classics. That, coupled with good weather and nice environment & company made for an enjoyable night. Plus, its free! heard that the band performs there on Fri and Sat during the early summer months..

Also had the opportunity to visit the RoyalBotanicGardens last weekend. Was planning on an idyllic day out of picnicking in the sun, but detour-ed into the Shrine of Remembrance just next door. Amazingly my sis had never visited either places before. So I played tour guide and official photographer. Any more trips there and I'm really going to qualify as one of their volunteer guides. =) But really, it is a grand, dignified building. Worth visiting.

I did get the chance to bum around the Gardens. Brought a book with me, but didn't really have time to read it. Strawberries! yumm... and coffee at the gardens! mmm... next time I'll go buy a picnic rug, so envious of those who came well prepared. Thing is, many people I know aren't even interested in spending time at places like these.. My opinion is, well its certainly safer here than back in PJ. Previously back home, when a few of us wanted to have a bbq, there were so many security considerations (ie whats the chances of getting robbed at a public beach/park/garden..i'm serious)

These days I have 2 large piles of readings at home.
1st pile goes: The New Asian House, The Villas of Palladio, Anthony Robbin's Unleash the Power Within, The Enigmas of Anger: Essays on a Sometimes Deadly Sin, Twentieth-Century Architecture, and my 3/4 completed "The DaVinci Code".........

2nd pile: Corporations Law, Corporations Law, Corporations Law (hey its not my fault the authors' all chose the same title for their books), Aus Financial Accounting, Law in Commerce, Company Reporting, Financial Institutions etc............

By far I prefer the first pile. But now is time to make some sacrifices and FOCUS! which actually explains my rambling post now, cos I am currently "out-of-focus" (?)

I love reading, I really do. But I love dabbling (as in interest in) so many other things ie photography, art, politics, current affairs. I read somewhere, that by dabbling in so many different things, one ends up not knowing much about anything, which is true.

The more I know, the more I realise I don't know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home