Wednesday, August 04, 2004

me = sick

No, I'm not sick of anything. I'm sick.

But, being sick is nothing interesting to blog about. Here's something I found interesting - The Water-Babies, by Charles Kingsley. Much to my surprise my campus doesn't seem to have much novels ie fiction. What it has is loads of arch and art and design books (which makes up for it more than enough) plus all the usual, plus literature n some odd classics. My borrowed copy of the Water-babies is a 1944 edn, while another copy of Frost is from that era too. At that time, Monash was still known as Caulfield Institute of Technology (I never knew that!). The books are still in readable (pretty good) condition, a sign that they sure sayang their books more than us back home.

A concise synopsis of the Water-babies: The adventures of Tom, a sooty little chimney sweep with a great longing to be clean, who is stolen by fairies and turned into a water baby.

On a deeper level, this might be viewed as Kingsley's views on social reform. I have a feeling the copy in my hands is an abridged version, which rambles on and on. My copy contains slightly choppy editing of Tom's adventures with trout, salmon, men, fairies, lilies etc..Perhaps a latter edition would be a better choice.

We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about. - Charles Kingsley

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home