Monday, July 26, 2004

The Met.

The Met - a company to which I contribute a significant amount of my monthly expense to. It provides public transportation in and around the city of Melbourne.
 
Melbourne undeniably has an edge over KL&PJ over public transport. Here, the entire train/tram/bus system is integrated. Of course, in return the fares are considerable if you use it as often as I do. The system is divided into 3 zones, with each zone priced accordingly. One can purchase a 2hour/one trip/daily/weekly/monthly/yearly ticket. A single ticket provides access to the entire network within the zone, which is extremely convenient. Unlike back home, they have this piece of paper called a SCHEDULE, which is adhered too (people actually complain in the papers bout trains being a minute late!) hey I'm happy that at least it shows up.
 
Malaysia really should take a look at how they integrated the transportation system here. In KL (when I talk bout Msia, I mean KL/PJ areas), a rather dismal effort to integrate the system seems to be ongoing. (*ongoing* = *going..going..gone...*). When the Monorail services were launched, I was happily thinking that travelling to the city via public transport was going to be less tedious. On the contrary, its seems to makan up more costs. Going to Bukit Bintang starts with a trip on the LRT (2.20 one way if I'm not mistaken) plus a change to the Monorail (2.10 one way). Btw this amount disregards the costs of getting to&fro the LRT station. Per pax this totals up to 6.60RM return. In Melb, I'd pay 5.80 (think dollar to dollar in this instance) for unlimited travel within zone1, which will get me from the city to where I leave, to near Clayton, an approximate 20odd km away (?). It gets even cheaper if I'm on a weekly/mthly ticket. Cars are cheap here, though petrol and parking isn't. So many people rely on the Met to get around, which seems *terbalik* in KL's situation where the number of cars are increasingly out of proportion with the number of highways built. Building more highways will help to a certain extent, but how long before land runs out esp in the Klang Valley? From personal experience, it is already evident in the LDP, where they simply have no space to expand the current highway. The spine of the highway consists of a few lanes, with interchanges seemingly added on only as an afterthought. When oh when is the govt gonna figure things out??
 
On other stuff, last week was the first week of uni where some societies set up recruitment booths. Being Malaysian, I dutifully joined the Malaysian Students Society/Org. Paid 7AUD only to receive a little piece of cardboard measuring probably 5*4cm with my name imprinted over a *liquid-papered* mark. Such a dismal-looking piece of work! Aihh..dah takde patriotism le..(disregard that last sentence I still love my country regardless)
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home