Friday, June 23, 2006

Mind-numbing work..

Money is indeed a powerful motivator.

It gives me the ability to to wake up at 6am (or earlier)
It causes me to trudge my way through the train stations in the cold mornings.
It makes me click click click and stare at the computer screen all day.
It makes me willingly endure mind-numbing work.
Connex is now my 2nd home - 2 hours every day, plenty of time to read/eat/sleep.

Finally started working this week. Location - far. We work in teams of ~15, abt 8-10 teams in the building. I finally understand how it feels to be working in one of those call-centre environment type of roles. The monotonous nature of the job gets to you within the first few hours. We're not a call centre, but it feels that way cos of the routine.

The job involves marking exam papers, each person's allocated quotas of certain questions which results in a ppl marking the same question over and over and over and over again. 5 days so far and I've done 20 THOUSAND (for just 2Qs) O_0 Candidates number more than a hundred thousand so obviously there's many more teams working. Music, fortunately, is allowed hence everyone tries to get by the day in their own ways. Someone mentioned he was planning out his future, another thinking about travelling with the cash etc. Me? I've been thinking/dreaming..

We were "behind schedule" according to the project leader hence was asked to work longer hours. These 2 days 8-6pm. They're paying by the hour so no complaints, plus its optional whether you want to come in or not. Everyone's motivation is $$ and more $$. Even though we were all dead tired, when they said Saturday 7 (morning!) to 12pm extra shift, most of us said "okay" without thinking. Its ridiculously early and I checked the train schedule - it would've meant leaving the house at 5.30am or so?! The hours were later adjusted to 8-1pm. ahhhhh I wanted to scream when I got back yesterday. Money, think of the irresistible lure of wads of cash! (ok perhaps "wads" is overstating it since everything's via EFT now). Or not needing to ask any precious cash transfers from the father..

I kept going "think of the cash think of the cash think of the cash..." while facing the comp screen. Relatively high pay by normal standards, I've earnt enough this week to get a nice LV bag, or a trip to somewhere. N0000oooooo no LV bag unfortunately :( There're more mundane things to think about - like rent for instance. Wondered too about the rate of withholding tax (PAYG) they're deducting from my pay and I think its 18-28% (anyone care to enlighten me?) All the pay from these few weeks will go towards living costs in the coming months. MinHui was going "work is good, at least got income" hence the bright side of all these tiring days eh...

Yepp money is a strong incentive for getting things done.

My mind wandered alot during work. Thought about alotof things. Travelling. Further studies. Friends. Not going back. Work. Drumming..Its been ages since I've touched a drum set. 3 years or so.. My drumsticks are still wasting away at home, had no reason to bring them over. Now my wrists feel abit stiff (maybe its all the click-click-click lately), and I can't imagine being an accountant-drummer (oh..the irony of it when accounting students tend to be synonymous with the whole adjective "boring" and its associated negativities). Suddenly feel like picking it up again, just a thought..

Schedule is fairly packed with work and more running around. Lunch with Kiong Sunday, off day on Monday! (actually i cannot tahan and decided to take a day off), Monday going in CFV half day voluntary, back to more work on Tue and so on... welcome to working life, everyone sniggers..

Its awesome how things are sometimes. Just a while ago, I'm tired out, slouched on my chair. The phone rings and I reach over lazily. Someone has just called to sing a short ditty - "the 3 bears" (from Full House drama hahh) to cheer me up. It was a hilarious effort!!! ::HugZ:: it has made my day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home