Saturday, June 17, 2006

CFV / YAA / WorkWorkWork!

This week have been in to CFV office twice already. Went in for an extra few hours today cos there was soo much to be done and Gia couldn't come in this week. After work I took the usual leisurely stroll back from Southbank. It takes about 15 minutes or so, passing by the Victorian College of the Arts, NGV Intl, the Arts Centre, the bridge and then Flinders. Although its peak hour, there's space aplenty for walking and the evening's pleasant weather was such a nice change from the chill of the past weeks.

The CFV's got a small&cozy office in Southbank, on a leafy street lined on both sides by modern apartments. Natalie just told me she's moving into a new role in PR working with Stephen-the-CEO. She's really pleasant to work with and I suppose I'm enjoying the work there cos she's patient and teaching me bout their operations/events. Its nice to go into work and feel familiar knowing where things are kept, what goes where, donor management system, knowing where the spreadsheets/info are etc..

*A certain someone overslept while waiting for me to finish work today..hence we missed dinner&coffee (you know who you are!). So is it your fault or mine, I wonder?!

On other things, I finally got the long-overdue notice to start work next Monday. The bank balance was really starting to worry me and to say I'm ecstatic to start work is an mighty understatement. Timing's actually okok - exams finished this week, I've had time to clean my room, attended the YAA workshop this week too, "big S"interview also done. Most of the distractions taken care off..

Its nice to be getting paid for work again.. While I'm enjoying volunteering, my state of finances is much worse than I thought. Will prob ask for a day off weekly from the Pearson job since I've got to take time off for the weekly YAA meetings (yeah this one also voluntary aka unpaid basis hehh). As a mentor this time round, I get more flexibility regarding attendance at meetings, thats a bonus..

It was great to meet up with people at the YAA management skills workshop a coupla days ago. "So posh this year" was my thought when we started. Held at the Melbourne Town Hall's Swanston Room, the crowd seems to have quadrupled. More sponsors have come onboard this year - Salmat sponsored the workshops, and is sponsoring 2 teams in 2006. Accenture also taking 2 teams. Loads of other sponsors. The venue was impressive, and later I was also at the Yarra Room upstairs. It's another grand room with 20+feet high ceilings, lotsa imposing HUGE potraits of impressive gentleman framed by gilded frames, impeccable tablecloth ( a speaker even commented on it hah), grand swinging chandeliers (well, maybe not swinging) etc.

The 1st session involved mainly introductionary talks by Nicci, Kristie and Stephen Birch (Repco's Natl Trade Mgr, very involved with YAA each year - always a lively speaker!). Kristie was my mentor last year but she was on the podium speaking as 2004 State & National Business Person of the Year (BPOY) and as MD of the company that won of 7 of 9 State awards, won more at the Nationals etc. The crowd of students/undergrads went "woww" when she listed her achievements, imo truly well deserved seeing how much work she put in then. We were both glad to see each other involved again this year albeit with competing teams!

I received a somewhat amusing email when I got back that night. My current team's marketing director emailed me asking if I could ask Kristie whether she was willing to advice him on some issues. I chuckled to myself.. thinking "heck this fella has no confidence in his mentors eh.." There's FIVE mentors from BAE (engineers, BAE's commercial manager etc), plus Reuven (who did the program before) and me. 7 people weyy! I've adviced him to conduct market research but it hasn't been taken onboard. They've making decisions not on what the market(consumer) wants but by what they want. Risky approach me thinks, but still, its their choice and thats how they'll learn I suppose. I wasn't a BPOYfinalist last year for nothing, I do know what I'm talking about ey..

*On something else entirely.. next week's contract is till 20 July. Am waiting for news on the 2nd job, unrelated to the 1st (Jul28-Aug28). The timing is perfect from one job to the next, but they're still processing the 2nd rounds. Nadia got in touch to let me know the interview/assessment date'll be sorted out next week (thats bcos I've been patiently waiting. and waiting..) and THEN its probably another week of waiting. Patient I'll be, no worries cos the pay's almost the same as Pearson, extra benefit of paid half-hour breaks and city location .. I pray I get it. God knows how handy the money'll be. "I do my best and leave You to do the rest eh.."

Oyasuminasai, I am tired.. tmrw yumcha with the ladies..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home