Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Just dropped by Eyeris's blog and he's got this niceeee post-poem thingy up which exactly reflects my life now. Hahha down to the last sentence. He listens today to Moby, I listen to Tony (2 classes of his today). He "dinner only got time to eat sushi", substitute "maggi" for mine..go check out his post!

Talking about Maggi.. last week was the first time I bought Maggi since I came to Aus. Usually I try out all the other brands out there (Korean/HK Nissin/China/Taiwan etc). Last week bought it in Coles after running out of the my stock. After trying the other types of instant noodles out there, I went "arhh" when eating Maggi chicken flavour last week. Oh man seriously it tastes so very different, different as in "not so nice" type of different. The noodle really just tastes weird to me - very "flat" taste. Suffice to say I'll prob not be buying any more of that while I'm here.

Still quite busy over here. This Saturday - YAA Trade Expo at the Melbourne Exhibition Centre. Very crucial assignments due on Fri and next Mon, test next Tue.

When I said I had the Monday blues, let me add this - I now also have "Thursday blues". It wasn't that I wanted to cram all my classes together, but simply it was due to their allocation of lecture and tute times. There were no other days available. Classes Thu start from 8am to 4pm, then a talk this Thursday night, plus another meeting also on Thurs night (I think I need to learn to split my physical self up to be at 2 places at a time).

Hate being so busy, with so much catching up to do its not funny. Been doing some reading recently, along the way checking up on some things I "vaguely believe I know but not too sure lah". Hence the frequent use of www.dictionary.com

Today there were 2 presentations re 2 articles - "Jihad vs McWorld" (by Barber) and "China's Big Mac Attack" (by Watson). When we talk about McWorld/Big Mac etc, its not in the sense of food. More symbolic of the Golden Arches is the conformance to American culture, of convergence towards norms of American consumerism and everything it represents. A single homogenous society - yes/no/why/good/bad? (plus all the usual questions)..Interesting thing to note is - in Msia, we don't seem to be really opposed to the presence of McD's or MTV, Hollywood movies etc. Areas cropping up incl education, toilets!, working hours, labour etc..

Today was a very interesting lecture, as promised by Tony. Topic's on new stratification in post Cold War period... Area of particular interest to me is inequality between individuals and between countries. Question raised - will the smaller/ less developed countries be able to catch up? Found out part of the answer today, good stuff. Some things are necessary in order to catch up (if, at least partially) - some of which Msia has, some not. Lots to think about, though not now. Will examine it soon in the Msian context..

On something else, LI came back from Japan recently and bought me a Hello Kitty thingy!! Thank you! *muakS* At this age, I still like it, though not too obsessively. And am very fussy - I only like RED Hello Kitty merchandise, not the pink ones. Still partial to Sanrio stuff, plus Bad Badtz Maru and extended family of Hana, Pochi, PandaBa etc.. must visit Japan!

You must be thinking - from globalisation jump topic to Hello Kitty -- thats me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home