Monday, August 08, 2005

4.03am - thinking/globalization/China/research topic..

4.03am. Sleepy.

Am not up watching dramas or daydreamin, still up doing work. argh.. and looks like I'll be up for the rest of the night. So much to catch up with and so many things to think about.

I have not yet decided:

(i) whether globalization is a zero sum game. Sometimes I think it is, but then again, it may not be. Trying to link all the flows is messing up my mind. Leaning towards a nay though..I keep thinking about the side effects of globalisation, particularly the environment & social costs. Who bears these effects? Who gains from it all?

(ii) China's growth - is it sustainable?
  • So far what I've read indicates its a huge challenge for the PRC. For the next 10 years it shouldn't be a problem. But what happens when the resources run out? they're consuming 10% of world energy use, with the figure set to go higher.
  • Global oil supply starts going downhill? They're already a net importer of oil. Part of the reason behind the rise in oil prices in recent years is due to China's ever-increasing demand.
  • Escalating social unrest will bring what problems? Although the percentage of poor has risen, inequality is growing between rural and urban areas, coastal and interior regions.
  • Environmental impact of current rapid economic development brings huge implications. Air quality problems, acid rainfall etc..
  • Military spending as per capita of GDP - possible spark a regional arms race?
so much to consider, too much to read.

(iii) Haven't decided on my essay topic for research. Lecturer has suggested a few possible issues.
  • India..outsourcing (may consider this..seems to be a hot issue at the moment in many Westernised countries esp the U.S. and Australia)
  • Samuel Huntingdon's "Clash of Civilisations".. (fascinating but I don't have the depth of knowledge to attempt something like this..yet?)
  • View on desirability and possibility of a "global civil society"
  • Globalization's effects (changes) on Australia.
know peanuts about so many issues.. we're given the freedom to suggest our own topics, provided we get approval from him. Its a good idea of what sort of things to discuss, but aduhhh.. I'm not really that outdated on current affairs and its great to be finally learning in a uni environment.. just means I need to read even more. Its been a long time since I actually had to go back to check the meaning of a word I heard.

And this's an elective unit. I actually took it for "fun" (actually cos I was interested la..just abit sien sometimes - peer pressure rears its head - my classmates have healthy opinions & are politically aware individuals who actually USE their minds hence the need for me to stimulate my mind to THINK for myself more)

Bedtime reading plus reading material on trains lately has been this - "The Rise Of China", an International Security Reader comprised of a series of essays related to the rise of China. Have gotten through about half of it Interesting their discussions are.. in particular one which discussed the rise of China and the implications on its neighbours/U.S... They discussed the Japan-U.S. security alliance, plus Taiwan. Even any defensive actions taken by its neighbours could be construed to be offensive. Deep-rooted historical mistrust no doubt still healthy.. Next essay up for reading - containment OR engagement policy? (by its rivals/neighbours)

One impression/fact I gained from all these reading - Msia's too small to be of much significance in these global powerplays. Not that I was ever self-deluded into thinking we are the centre of Asia or something.

All these just tells me the importance of competing globally in this era. Unlike some nations, Malaysians are still busy "suppressing" the competitiveness of each other through some deadwood policies while others are thinking of how to compete internationally in the wake of the rise of economies such as China and India. If we're not competitive/efficient/effective domestically, how're we even going to compete globally?

aihh lazy to think bout stuff back home for the moment. Back to my work.

buriedburiedburied under a mountain of work.

Yet another presentation on Thurday, on Vernon's product life cycle theory for yet another unit. This time, I'm going to argue that its no longer relevant for the current environment. But of course need to back up my opinion with more reading. darn haven't even finished one set, another crops up.

Having meeting for the presentation later in the morning (in 5 and half hours to be exact), then a full day of classes. Then off to Clayton I go for the weekly meeting for YAA.

loooonnng day again (-_-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home