Sunday, May 16, 2004

May woe befall all snatch thieves!

About 2 and a half hours ago, my sister became the latest victim of a snatch thief about 2 doors away from my house. I could hear the screeching of tyres from my living room and quickly ran out, cos I knew it was another case, but just didn't think it'd involve family. My mum was with her at that time, luckily there wasn't serious injury caused to my sis, only some nasty wounds when she fell. What has happened to the state of affairs of this country I live in, I wonder, when snatch thieves blatantly in broad daylight go about robbing people?? This time, instead of being on motorbikes, it was a Chinese young man, driving alone, with one hand on the steering wheel and one hand snatching the bag. Preposterous! Not the first time and it certainly won't be the last time something like this happens in PJ.

It is a very disgusting indicator of the depths of how low Malaysians stoop to when one thinks about how these cases become mere statistics when reported. It is much too commonplace for these cases to be highlighted, simply cos there are too many cases daily. Although it happened so early in the day, when they reported it to the police station just now, it was already the 2nd case of the day. An elderly man fell prey today too..

Unfortunately, I do not see our security situation improving, since the onus seems to be falling upon normal citizens to protect themselves, rather than the police providing some semblance of security. Its only till some sensational/serious case happens (as in the BSC case etc) that they will react to all the broo-ha and set up even more committees to look into *how to improve security* and thats that. No concrete action taken, with the usual excuse of "not enough manpower-la, ie the Sea Park police station has to take care of more than 10 housing areas etc"..With this appalling situation, its no wonder people leave the country, never to come back, or end up staying in gated communities when they can afford to.

Btw, those of you who own laptops, be very careful when you have your laptops with you, especially in PJ areas. An ex-classmate lost his laptop to robbers 2 nights ago at Taman Megah, they smashed his car's windows to get it. According to a friend who told me abt the incident, the cops told them it was the 9th case of the day already (9th case of stolen laptops!) laptops seem to be getting high on targeted items..

Such a bad ending to my week. The last time I witnessed a case was when it happened right outside my house, 2 of them on a bike, with one getting down and threatening a girl with a knife. What is the world coming to???

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home