Saturday, September 10, 2005

With spring comes the rain

*yet another dodgy post title to add to the collection!

Thunderstorm in my area right now. I heard (gasp!) thunder and saw lightning! Something I've (not actually) missed seeing since February in Msia. Strong winds and cold fronts are very common here, not flashes in the sky. Rain is awfully common though, remember it raining veryy often in spring.

Its officially spring. Flowers are blooming, reminding me I better go take pics of the huge botak tree at the train station before its leaves all "sprout" in a matter of days. Everyday as I take the 10 minute walk to the train station, I notice flowering buds that resemble those chinese blossoms we see during Chinese New Year, no idea what its called, but looks really pretty. No time to stop and look properly, no time to notice ongoing changes.

No time no time no time I usually say. But am in the midst of rearranging my priorities. Lets just say my hols at the end of the month will be pretty much spent on research, reading and more reading. Probably will hug my tax law book to sleep each night.

Just finished the MAJOR test at 8 plus. Bcos of it, had to miss the "family" dinner at home. Didn't really know what occasion this feast was for, apparently its just a get-together for housemates and also cos MoonCake festival's this weekend (I think). Besides hsemates, some church directors were here as well as a coupla guests. They kept a share of dinner for me so I had all the typical Msian yummy party food -- curry, beehoon, mee, dumplings, duck etc etc, plus dessert! Bishop Ha's wife cooks really good food! =)

~ on other things..Rebecca went to Sydney last week and got back to Seoul a coupla days ago. I must really say I kinda miss her presence around. She's been in Melb for a coupla months, a few months in Cairns before this, and a few months in New Zealand before that. Hahha as if life's a perpetual holiday. But still had to return to Seoul. They've this very open attitude to taking a gap year travelling after graduating from uni. This's the same thing Min's doing and also what most Aussies do. I think most Malaysian parents would be freaked out at this idea of a "gap year". Very often parents go "graduate already must start work blahblahblah"..

Rebecca, Min and I watch dramas together sometimes, or I get them to help me with my pronounciation occasionally. Intro-ed Chinese mooncakes to them awhile back, plus I get to pepper them with questions about Korea. Call it cultural interaction. After all, I'm not finding out much about Aussie culture here. To generalise, Aussies mix mostly with Aussies over here and other communities mix with their own communities. One can survive over here without needing to speak to any other Australian besides your lecturer or tutor.

Diverting abit from my original paragraph, I've asked my tutorial mates (all Australians) in INT (the globalisation unit I'm taking in uni) about this. Their reply as to why there's this segregation "We don't understand what they're thinking". By "they", my tute mates mean Asian Aussies (when they were in high school) and other Asian students. Multi-cultural Australia?

Back to topic::

On language, moving beyond "on-ma" (mother), "op-pa" (brother), "on-ni"(sister), "ap-pa"(father),"ya-pe-se-yo"(general greeting hello/how are you), "sarang-e-yo" (i love you)..

Try guessing what this means:
"kook-ki-di"
"na-bi"
"cha-dok-cha"
"nam-ja"
"yo-ja"

(answers in next post) ;P

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home